Minnesota school attendance laws require children to attend school regularly. Robbinsdale Area Schools expects students to have an attendance rate of 95%, meaning a student should not be absent more than 9 days per school year. The only excused absences from school are for student illness, religious holiday, doctor appointments, death in the family, and pre-approved vacations. Unexcused absences can be a variety of things. Some examples, but not limited to, families not calling their student’s absence into the attendance line, occurring too many excused absences with no doctor’s note, missing the school bus, and being more than an hour late to school.
If your student is going to be absent from school, please call 763-504-7410 by 7:45 a.m. and provide the following information:
- Name of Student
- Name of teacher and/or room number
- Length of and reason for absence
Automated messages are sent home to families indicating your student’s absence for calls not received by 8:30 a.m.
If you are unsure if your student is well enough to come to school, please refer to “Am I well Enough To Go To School” Information Sheet.
When students arrive late, they must be accompanied to the Main Office to obtain a late pass before going to their classroom.
The Hennepin County “Be@School” Program is followed by the Robbinsdale Schools.
How unexcused absences are addressed
- 3 unexcused absences: Letter is sent to parents/guardians from the school.
- 7 unexcused absences: Be@School sends a letter providing information on education laws, Be@School Program, resources, and invites parents/guardians to view an informational video online.
- 12 unexcused absences: Parents/Guardians may be invited to a meeting with school staff and Be@School social worker. Other families may be assigned to a community agency or county services.
- 17 unexcused absences: Families receiving community services will continue with that support. Families who have declined services or have been unable to be reached, may be referred to child protection (if under the age of 12).
For more information on the Hennepin County Be@School Program, please visit: Be@School
Please note, we realize that all family situations are different and communication is helpful for us to be part of your student’s team. If your family is in need of support, please call us and let us know! We are here to support Neill families.